Simon is currently undertaking a PhD at UCLan with his supervisory team from RACES.
Based in Newmarket, Simon has been a farrier since 1972 and is a past Master of the Worshipful Company of Farriers . He has lectured and demonstrated farriery in 16 countries on 4 continents including the USA, Australia, India, and Dubai and has published 2 text books about farriery. He has been awarded an Honorary Associateship of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. This is the first time that any farrier has received such an honour. The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons describes the Honorary Associateship as “the highest honour which it is possible for the College to award to anyone who is not a member. In 2005 Simon was inducted into “The Farriers Hall of Fame” in the Kentucky Derby Museum, Louisville, USA.
- Peer Review Journals: Equine Veterinary Journal, Veterinary Clinics of North America, UK Vet
- Farrier Journals: The Forge, American Farriers Journal.
- Other publications: Pacemaker, Thoroughbred Breeder, and The Irish Thoroughbred Breeder.
- Professional Bodies: Examiner, Worshipful Company of Farriers, the Craft Committee WCF (chairman 1998-2001. Farriers
- Registration Council (statutory body)
- (1990-1996); Chaired Visitation Committee (inspecting training colleges and examinations. Member of the Court of Imperial College
- DipWCF (1983)
- AWCF (1987)
- FWCF (1990)